Frenchman Thomas Levet has accepted a last-minute call-up to play in the Open Championship at Turnberry, which starts on Thursday, after American Brett Quigley decided not to make the trip.

Levet was disqualified from last month’s qualifier at Sunningdale after signing an incorrect scorecard, but he was top of the reserve list for the Open after a number of withdrawals – including Phil Mickelson, Robert Karlsson, Trevor Immelman, Tim Wilkinson and Japan’s Shingo Katayama.

“I think I’ve got a chance,” said Levet, who lost out on the Claret Jug when beaten by Ernie Els in a play-off at Muirfield in 2002.

“I’m playing well and I hit the ball low, which you need to do at the Open.

Quigley qualified to play courtesy of finishing joint second at the John Dere Classic on Sunday, but revealed he was due to attend a memorial service on Tuesday for the wife of fellow player Chris Smith, who was killed in a car crash three weeks ago.

“My heart’s not into playing the British,” he said. “I know that sounds crazy for a major, the Open at Turnberry, and I love the golf over there.

“There are a million reasons to go – I just feel like it’s going to be better for me to go to Milwaukee and go with my family.”

Where next?

Golf Monthly at the Open Championship
Win some great golf prizes
Join the debate in the Forum
Tiger Woods arrives at Turnberry