Golf legend Seve Ballesteros has undergone a 12-hour operation to remove the brain tumour that was discovered on Sunday.

A biopsy was scheduled for Tuesday but doctors decided to remove as much of the tumour as possible prior to the treatment.

Last week that the multi-Major winning Spaniard collapsed in Madrid Airport, before being admitted to hospital for various checks and tests that subsequently revealed he had a brain tumour.

“The patient Severiano Ballesteros yesterday (Tuesday) underwent a surgical operation performed by the medical team of the Neurosurgery Service of the La Paz Hospital,” the hospital said in a statement.

“The operation, aimed at removing a brain tumour, began at 9am and ended without complications.

“The patient will spend a post-operative period in the intensive care unit. He is currently conscious and in stable condition, although he cannot receive visits in the coming days until he recovers from the surgery.”

Doctors have also said that Seve will not be receiving any visits for at least a few days until he has recovered from the surgery, after which further medical tests are scheduled.