The famous Masters Green Jacket is tailored in London from cloth made in West Yorkshire

The cloth for the Masters Green Jackets is made in West Yorkshire, by textile company Bower Roebuck. It is dyed and finished in turn by two more West Yorkshire firms.

It is then despatched to London to Savile Row tailor Henry Poole & Co.

Bower Roebuck & Co. Ltd dates from 1899 when the new company name was registered. But the company has already existed for 100 years and fabric production on that site had been going on since the 16th century.

Ronald Hall, managing director at Bower Roebuck, told the Huddersfield Daily Examiner: “We have had a very long-term relationship with Augusta National.

“The fabric is used by members of the club. We may get one order every two years to supply 130 metres – enough cloth to make 60 jackets.”

“We need to be confident of the quality of the cloth and the consistency of colour. Dyeing nowadays is a very high-tech business, but it still comes down to what the eye can detect.”

The official colour of the Augusta National Green Jacket is ‘Masters Green‘. The jackets are single breasted with a single vent. The breast pocket and the buttons sport the club logo.

Masters Green Jacket

The Masters logo on the breast pocket of the Masters Green Jacket. Credit: Getty Images

The jacket a first-time winner is presented with in the immediate aftermath of his victory is borrowed off an Augusta member with roughly the same build as the winner. Later the winner gets measured for a jacket which is made specifically for him by Henry Poole & Co.

The Masters champion can keep his Masters Green Jacket for a year, and then he has to return it to the Augusta National Golf Club where it remains. However it does remain ’his’ and he can wear it when he is at the golf club – but only there.

The Masters Green Jacket was introduced in 1937. The idea was that Augusta National members would wear these jackets during the US Masters tournament so as to signal to members of the public needing guidance who to approach.

The first jackets were bought from the Brooks Uniform Company in New York. But they were not popular with members, who found the material too thick and so the jacket uncomfortably warm in good weather.

So within several years the club introduced a lightweight, made-to-order jacket.

The tradition of awarding the winner a Masters Green Jacket began in 1949. Other tournaments have subsequently taken on the idea of awarding a jacket to the winner.