A look at some of the best performing fairway woods on the market in 2020 – versatile clubs to suit differing golfing requirements.
Best Fairway Woods 2020
The fairway wood has evolved in recent years to be one of the most versatile clubs you can buy. With enhanced materials and technologies, they can help you find distance and consistency from the tee, they are also playable from the short grass and can even be effective from the rough or around the greens.
With a wide selection of fairway metals to choose from, each delivering varying features and benefits, we take a look here at some of the best-performing on the market. Some are premium models targeting experienced players, others are aimed more at the improving golfer. Some offer advanced levels of adjustability, others simply a solid set-up designed to help you get the best out of your long game.
Below are some of our favourites. With some of the products you’ll see a ‘Buy Now’ link. If you click on this then we may receive a small amount of money from the retailer when you purchase the item, but this doesn’t affect the amount you pay.
WATCH: Best Fairway Woods 2020
NEW FOR 2020 – FEATURED PRODUCTS
Golf Monthly is partnering with Titleist and FootJoy as our official golf ball, golf bag, footwear and apparel partners for this year.
Shop the featured FootJoy footwear and apparel worn in this video:
- Shop FootJoy Men’s shoes
- Shop FootJoy Men’s shirts
- Shop FootJoy Men’s pullovers/mid-layers
- Shop FootJoy Men’s jackets/outer-layers
- Shop FootJoy Men’s trousers
- Shop FootJoy Men’s gloves
- Shop FootJoy Men’s belts & accessories
- Find out more about the featured Titleist golf balls used in this video
Discover Titleist Pro V1x balls
One of the more traditional-looking fairway woods on the market with a simple, glossy black finish, the TS3 has a relatively compact, classic profile with full-face grooves assisting alignment. Active Recoil Channel 3.0 extends further into the head, producing greater face flexibility and faster ball speeds, especially low on the face. Additionally, a thinner crown saves weight, while SureFit CG adjustable weight cartridge allows shot shape and launch conditions to be fine tuned.
The TS2 is also part of the TS-Series which has a 27 per cent thinner steel crown which allows for increased MOI, along with a taller Active Recoil Channel 3.0 behind the face to increase launch and ball speed while keeping spin low
Joining the new SIM drivers are three fairway woods, the SIM, SIM Max, and SIM Max D-Type. The iconic V Steel design has been reinvented with the new 180cc SIM fairway with an 80g sole weight creating an extremely low CG that allows for increased ball speed, higher launch and improved forgiveness on low-face hits. It also features a new Zatech titanium face which is the first time TaylorMade has used this rare and ultra-strong material in a metalwood
- BUY NOW (UK): TaylorMade SIM Ti fairway wood from American Golf for £329
- BUY NOW (US): TaylorMade SIM Ti fairway wood from Worldwide Golf Shops from $299.99
The larger 185cc SIM Max steel fairway woods feature a C300 face material and is designed for higher launch and peak trajectories, with extremely long distance and improved playability. Finally, the oversized 190cc SIM Max D fairway has been optimised for forgiveness and golfers seeking a draw- bias design.
Much like the Callaway Mavrik drivers, the Mavrik fairways also feature A.I.-designed Flash Faces specific to the three models, promoting optimum speed and spin. A high-strength C300 Maraging Steel face combined with Jailbreak maximizes ball speed.
Along with the standard Mavrik fairway that has generous heel camber for versatility, there’s the draw-biased Max model, which is a new shape that is larger and 30 per cent more forgiving than Epic Flash and has a lower leading edge for better results from the deck. There’s also a Sub Zero model that features a tour profile and adjustable front/back weighting.
- BUY NOW (UK): Callaway Mavrik fairway wood from American Golf for £249
- BUY NOW (US): Callaway Mavrik fairway wood from Worldwide Golf Shops for $299.99
A club with a slightly shallower face than its predecessor the G400, the G410 has a CG that is positioned closer to the face and sole as well. This is designed to deliver higher ball speeds, and the tungsten back weight also significantly helps with forgiveness. It is also available is a slightly larger SFT model with extra draw bias and LST model for the first time. The LST model replaces the G400 Stretch which was designed for lower spinning players or those seeking a lower spinning option.
- BUY NOW (UK): Ping G410 fairway from American Golf for £249
- BUY NOW (UK): Ping G410 LST fairway from American Golf for £249
- BUY NOW (US): Ping G410 fairway from Worldwide Golf Shops for $289.99
- BUY NOW (US): Ping G410 LST fairway from Worldwide Golf Shops for $289.99
The generous Mizuno ST200 fairway wood boasts a full Ti driver type construction with a high ball speed Beta rich Ti face. While the 5 and 7 wood both use a steel chassis with multi-thickness Maraging face for greater energy transfer and faster ball speeds. To add to that Mizuno have also created a ST200 TS (adjustable loft) and a lightweight, draw-biased ST200X model too.
- BUY NOW (UK): Mizuno ST200 fairway wood from Scottsdale Golf for £199
- BUY NOW (US): Mizuno ST200 fairway wood from Worldwide Golf Shops for $249.99
Cobra King Speedzone
Within the new Speedzone line-up, Cobra is offering golfers the choice of three new fairway wood designs. All three fairways boast a forged CNC Milled up to five times more precise than traditional hand polishing.
To go along with the standard model, Cobra created the King Speedzone Tour Fairway which has a more compact shape and designed for better players that desire low spin, a more piercing trajectory and workability.
The third fairway offering is the King Speedzone Big Tour Fairway, which features the largest profile, stronger lofts and forward CG weighting for fast ball speed and low spin.
- BUY NOW (UK): Cobra King Speedzone fairway from American Golf for £229
- BUY NOW (US): Cobra King Speedzone fairway from Worldwide Golf Shops for $279.99
Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo
The same speed-enhancing technologies that define the Launcher HB Turbo Driver are featured within the Launcher HB Turbo Fairway Woods (above), delivering more speed and distance off the tee or when going for the green in two. The club features a Turbocharged Cup Face, which offers a unique variable thickness pattern that delivers more speed across the entire face.
- BUY NOW (UK): Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo from Scottsdale Golf for £179
- BUY NOW (US): Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo from Worldwide Golf Shops for $229.99
Honma Tour World TW747
The TWorld747 fairway wood is designed to provide golfers with a high trajectory and maximum distance. A 9g outer weight combined with an inner 20g weight creates a low and deep centre of gravity that enables golfers to launch the ball high into the air, without affecting their distance. The fairway wood is available in 15°, 16.5°, 18° and 21°.
- BUY NOW (UK): Honma Tour World TW 747 fairway from Scottsdale Golf for £309
- BUY NOW (US): Honma Tour World TW 747 fairway from Worldwide Golf Shops for $299.99
Best Value Golf Balls 2020 for amateur golfers,…
We select the best golf laser rangefinders 2020…
Callaway Epic Flash
Like the new Callaway Epic Flash drivers, the new fairway woods also have their new Flash Face Technology which is designed to give more ball speed to all levels of golfer. The product of an $8m super computer and Artificial Intelligence, the face is totally unique. The internal mapping consists of dozens of subtle ripples flowing from heel to toe. Though the size, height and configuration of the ripples appears random, they in fact work together. To go along with that, the clubs have Callaway’s Face Cup to produce high COR across a large area, as well as their Jailbreak technology to connect the crown from the sole to stabilise those two regions of the clubhead.
- BUY NOW (UK): Callaway Epic Flash fairway wood from American Golf for £249
- BUY NOW (UK): Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero fairway from American Golf for £249
- BUY NOW (US): Callaway Epic Flash fairway wood from Worldwide Golf Shops for $299.99
- BUY NOW (US): Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero fairway from Worldwide Golf Shops for $299.99
Wilson Staff D7
New to 2019, Wilson Staff’s D7 crown comes with a layer of DuPont Kevlar sandwiched between two layers of carbon fibre to save weight. Thin-cast weight saving pockets are also featured along with a stainless steel face to improve distance. Given its modest retail price of £139 this is a good choice if the budget is a tad tight after Christmas, especially as big hitting Gary Woodland has put the D7 3 and 5-wood in play!
- BUY NOW (UK): Wilson Staff D7 fairway from American Golf for £139
- BUY NOW (US): Wilson Staff D7 fairway from Worldwide Golf Shops for $199.99
Srixon Z F85
With a slightly larger profile at address compared to the others this list, Srixon’s Z F85 offers a forgiving look as well as a more triangular shape to it. After testing we noticed it produced a slightly higher pitched sound when striking the ball. The wood features a lightweight carbon crown which is to help move the mass to the perimeter of the club. This is to help gain distance despite off-centre hits.
- BUY NOW (UK): Srixon Z F85 from Scottsdale Golf for £199
- BUY NOW (US): Srixon Z F85 from Worldwide Golf Shops for $249.99
PXG O341X Gen 2
Similar to the PXG 0811x Gen 2 driver from PXG, the new fairway wood also has a multi-level, variable thickness carbon crown along with the Honeycomb TPE Insert which helps reposition weight around the head so that launch conditions are optimised while improving sound and feel. Additionally the eight weighted screws allow you to move significant mass around the head to create your ideal club in terms of head weight, spin and ball flight.
- BUY NOW (UK): PXG 0341X Gen 2 fairway from Scottsdale Golf
To check out more of the latest golf gear on offer go to the gear section of the website.