Get to know British Masters Champion Eddie Pepperell slightly better. By Sarah Wilmore
15 Things You Didn’t Know About Eddie Pepperell
Eddie Pepperell won the 2018 British Masters, which was his third professional win and second on the European Tour.
He also came T6th in The Open Championship, and is tipped for success, so get to know him better with these 15 facts…
1. The 27-year-old started playing golf aged four with his father Ron, and brother Joe who is now the Head PGA Professional at Oxford Golf Club.
2. In 2011, he turned pro but did not have playing privileges. In 2012 he played on the mini tours but was earning very little. When he was invited to play in the Allianz Open Côtes d’Armor Bretagne, a Challenge Tour event, he could not afford his hotel bill, so had to win, which he did. Consequently, he earned a Challenge Tour card for next season, and climbed his way to a 2013 European Tour card.
Related: Eddie Pepperell: My 10 best tips
3. At the end of 2016, he had to return to Q-school to gain his European tour card for the next season. Thankfully, he did and then enjoyed strong performances in 2017.
4. His first win on the European Tour came in February 2018 at the Commercial Bank Qatar Masters.
5. He played the fourth round of the Open Championship “a little hungover” but still managed to shoot 67 and finish T6th.
6. Pepperell climbed 105 places in the Official World Golf Rankings last year to finish 2018 in 38th place.
7. Frilford Heath Golf Club, Oxfordshire is his home club.
8. He is in a relationship with Jennifer Rhodes and often gushes about the positive impact she has on his life via social media and his blog.
9. Pepperell did not do well at school after focusing his attention on golf, he achieved one B, five Cs, a D and an E in his GCSE’s.
10. When he was 22, he read his first book. Jennifer encouraged him to read on holiday, and he now claims to be self-teaching.
Take a look inside the golf bag of…
The Englishman made a hole-in-one on the 9th…
11. He has a dog called Gus who he brings to tournaments as frequently as possible.
12. His football team is Chelsea.
13. Often taking to social media and his blog to express his views and life as a professional golfer, he never fails to add in an amusing quip.
14. He loves Marmite, claiming to even lick the delicacy off knives.
15. He is a member of the European Tour Players’ Committee and had an interesting manifesto:
For all the latest golf news, check the Golf Monthly website and follow our social media channels.