The winner of the Open Championship is awarded one of the most famous trophies in sport, but why is it called the Claret Jug, and what is its history?
The jug – whose official name is the Championship Cup – is named after claret, a dry red wine produced in the famous French region of Bordeaux.
The British Open trophy was made in the style of silver jugs used to serve claret at 19th century gatherings.
The winner of the Open hasn’t always received the Claret Jug, however. The first few winners were given a belt, or ‘challenger belt’, as it was labelled at the time.
The tradition started at Prestwick Golf Club in 1860, the first time the Open was contested.
Prestwick hosted each of the first 11 Open Championships, but its rules stated the belt would become the permanent property of anyone winning the tournament three years in a row.
When Tom Morris won in 1870 for the third consecutive year, he walked off with the belt, and the Open no longer had any trophy to award.
Prestwick club members came up with the idea of subsequently sharing the Open with St Andrews and the Honourable Company of Edinburgh golfers, who would all contribute an equal share towards creating a new trophy.
Whilst the clubs deliberated, 1871 came and went without the Open being played. The trophy was still being commissioned when Tom Morris won in 1872, leaving 1873 victor Tom Kidd as the first golfer to be awarded the Claret Jug.