Tiger Woods has explained his decision to declare himself unavailable for Ryder Cup selection ahead of the 2014 contest at Gleneagles
Tiger Woods has explained his decision to declare himself unavailable for Ryder Cup selection ahead of the 2014 contest at Gleneagles.
The 38-year-old – who underwent back surgery on March 31 and missed four months of the season – was forced to withdraw from the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational, just his third event back, and looked in clear discomfort during the USPGA Championship.
With speculation growing over his prospective role in the Ryder Cup and Tom Watson facing a barrage of questions on the issue, Woods decided to clarify his position last week.
And now, he’s revealed in greater detail why he feels he can’t take part at Gleneagles.
“Physically I just couldn’t do it – I wouldn’t be ready and not being ready for my team-mates, for the captain, assistant captains and everyone who’s involved in the event, I just wouldn’t be ready and I just couldn’t help the team,” said Woods.
“When your name’s called, your name’s called and you need to be able to go out there and get a point.
“I just didn’t feel like I could be ready enough where I could get a point and with that being said, it was time to shut it down, get stronger, get more explosive again and get back for next year.”
The 14-time major champion is hoping to be back in time for the Chevron World Challenge, an event he hosts, in December.
“I probably won’t be swinging a club for another month but just getting stronger each and every day,” he added.
“I’ve got basically three-and-a-half, four months off where I get to be physically fit, when I come back I’ll be explosive again and stable.”