Well, we have arrived at the eve of the 73rd US Masters, and to be honest I’m done with all the pre-match Hollywood stuff. It’s time to get the main event started. But first, here’s a pick of the best bits from Wednesday at Augusta National
1) Watching the trio of Adam Scott, Paul Casey and Geoff Ogilvy rib each other on the 12th tee during their practice round this morning. It seemed like there was a little bit of gamesmanship going on between them in terms of which one would hit the best – and worst – tee shot. Amusingly, all three players hit into the water, with Scott playing the worst shot of all, dropping straight into the drink about 20 yards short.
2) Some of the crowd appeared to be getting on Ian Poulter’s back as he partnered DJ Trahan. One shout from the galleries came: “So you think you’re better than Tiger.” While his check trousers (deep red with a hint of blue) simply handed them more ammo. To be fair to the Englishman, he saw the funny side, and was playing some pretty solid golf.
3) Miguel Angel Jimenez is always one for a laugh, it seems, and at one point today on the driving range the likeable Spaniard appeared to be in the middle of a long-drive competition with American star Nick Watney. After Watney departed, Jimenez proceeded to take on Sandy Lyle at the same game. Both were nailing their drives against the back net of the range – Lyle with a 3-wood!
4) Being in the press centre when Gary Player hit his hole-in-one on the 9th during the par-3 competition. With most of the journos watching the Liverpool-Chelsea game on their screens, there was a huge roar when Player’s ball eventually dropped in the hole with pretty much everyone oblivious to what had gone on.
5) Watching Vijay Singh during his practice round. The Fijian was hitting the ball harder, straighter and further than anyone else I have seen this week. If his short game is on form, he’s surely a serious contender for honours this week.
More US Masters on Golf Monthly