How much will the winner earn this week at TPC Harding Park?
PGA Championship Prize Money 2020
The PGA Championship marks the first Major of the year following the disruption from the Covid-19 pandemic.
TPC Harding Park in San Francisco takes centre stage as the world’s best players compete for the Wanamaker Trophy.
Aside from the Wanamaker Trophy, what else are the players competing for this week?
Let’s take a look at how the prize money breaks down for the 102nd PGA Championship. Golfers that tie for a place will split an average of the combined winnings of their respective spots on the leaderboard.
The PGA Championship Winner will get the following exemptions
- A lifetime exemption into the PGA Championship
- The Masters – Five-year exemption
- US Open – Five-year exemption
- Open Championship – Five-year exemption
- A five-year exemption on the PGA Tour
- Two points for every $1,000 earned in the PGA Championship toward a berth on the 2020 Ryder Cup (provided he is American-born)
- 30 points toward the 2020 PGA Player of the Year Award (Note: Should a player win more than one major Championship in one year, an additional 50 bonus points for each win are awarded toward the PGA Player of the Year Award.)
Other PGA Championship Benefits
- The top four scorers and ties in the PGA Championship are eligible to compete in the following year’s Masters.
- The top 30 scorers and ties are exempt from local qualifying (but not Sectional) for the following year’s U.S. Open.
The PGA Championship has no title sponsor and without any fans on-site, ticket, merchandise, food and beverage and other revenues will be hit very hard.
Last year’s Championship offered up a total purse of $11m, with the winner, Brooks Koepka, taking home $1.98m.
Runner-up Dustin Johnson picked up $1.19m.
The 2019 PGA Championship purse ranked third in the Major money standings, with the US Open offering a purse of $12m, The Masters paying out $11.5m and the Open Championship offering up $10.5m.
For all the latest golf news, check the Golf Monthly website and follow our social media channels @golfmonthlymagazine on Facebook and @golfmonthly on Twitter and Instagram